In order to increase our ability to communicate refuse and recycling service changes and delays, as well as other DPW news, we have set up an email system to send out important updates to residents and businesses in Leesburg. You must subscribe to this mailing list in order to receive the emails. Please visit our ListServ page to subscribe to this program. You may also unsubscribe at any time. Thank you!
In addition to regular curbside collection of trash and recycling, through its contractor, the Town of Leesburg also provides for pickup of items which are too large to be collected with regular refuse removal. This service is only available to residents and certain businesses located within the Town's corporate limits, who receive trash and recycling collection through the Town.
Bulk pickups are done on a split collection schedule based on the quadrant your address is located in. The schedule is as follows:
SE/SW Residents - Bulk Pickups will be on Thursdays ONLY
(This includes all of W Market St - both north and south sides as well as S King St)
NE/NW Residents - Bulk Pickups will be on Fridays ONLY
(This includes N King St)
ALL REQUESTS FOR PICKUPS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 12:00PM ON WEDNESDAY. The bulk list closes at noon Wednesday for all residents, regardless of the pickup day. CSI requires that we submit the list at this time so that they can schedule their routes. Requests received after noon must be scheduled for the following week.
Scheduling a Bulk Item Pickup
E-mail email@example.com, use our web form, or call 703-771-2790 to request a pickup.
Please also be sure the items you are requesting to have collected meet the following criteria:
What Can and Cannot Be Picked Up
The table below lists bulk items that can and cannot be collected:
- Furniture (includes mattresses, sofas, chairs, tables, cabinets, etc.)
- Mattresses & box springs - limited quantity per pickup
- Appliances (more information about items with chemical refrigerants)
- Lawn furniture
- Barbecue grills (do not include propane tanks)
- Lawnmowers and other power equipment (oil and gas must be drained)
- Carpet & padding (bundled into rolls less than 6' long and 1' in diameter - MAXIMUM of one 11' x 11' room per pickup)
- Lumber and wood trim less than 5 feet in length, nails hammered down or removed - CSI will collect a MAXIMUM of 12-15 pcs per pickup
- Cabinets, vanities, toilets & sinks - limited quantity
- TVs under 42", computers, monitors and other electronics (under 75 lbs.)
- Books, clothing, nick-knacks
- Dishes, pots and pans
- Basketball goals (pole must be broken down to 4-5' to fit in collection vehicle)
- Exercise equipment - treadmills, elliptical machines, etc. must be broken down into pieces under 50 lbs. per piece for pickup
- Tree limbs, tree stumps, logs, firewood or yard waste (more information about yard waste collection)
- Refrigerators, freezers, A/C units and other refrigeration equipment that has not had the chemical refrigerant removed by a licensed technician (more information)
- Hazardous household waste (paints, stains, pesticides, etc.)
- Bricks, tiles, concrete products, rocks or stone (please note - stone also includes materials such as slate, granite, quartz, etc.)
- Construction debris, including drywall, cement board, shingles and insulation (more information about disposal of construction debris)
- Tires (on or off rim)
- Automotive parts
- TVs over 42" or above 75 lbs.
- Console TVs
- Grandfather clocks
- Pianos - any kind
- Pool tables, air hockey tables
- Floor model copiers and printers
- Riding mowers
- Items too large or heavy to be lifted safely by a two-person crew or too large to fit into the collection vehicle
If you are unsure whether or not your items will be collected, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-771-2790 to get clarification.
Before placing your bulk items out for collection, please review the following guidelines:
- Call or e-mail requests before noon on Wednesday for same week Thursday or Friday pickup.
- List all items to be picked up - please do not use general terms such as "furniture" - please list items to be collected.
- Drain oil and gas from lawnmowers and power equipment.
- Remove doors from appliances to prevent children from becoming trapped inside.
- Place items at curb after 4PM the night before your collection day (SE/SW - Thursday pickup; NE/NW - Friday pickup) - please do not set out before this time.
- Any wood pieces, trim or boards must be less than 4-5’ in length. Hammer down any nails or remove completely. Maximum of 10-15 pieces per pickup.
- Carpet/padding must be bundled in rolls less than 6' long and less than 1' in diameter. CSI will collect a maximum of one 11' x 11' room of carpet/padding per pickup.
- Do place items at curb where you normally place trash and recycling for pickup. Crews cannot come onto private property to take items.
- Do not put items out Friday morning – they must be out at the curb Thursday night or they may be missed by the crew. Crews will not be sent back to pickup items set out late.
- Do not include propane cylinders with gas grills
- Please limit the volume of material to a pile not to exceed 4' high x 8' long x 4' wide. If you have more material than this, you will need to split this between multiple pickup appointments.
- Do not mix with yard waste, brush, recycling or other debris. Keep these items separate for crews to identify and collect.
- Do not block sidewalks, hydrants or utilities with bulk items.
- Do not place toys, bikes, lawn and garden furniture, tools, sports equipment, etc. not intended for collection within 10' of bulk items. The Town will not be responsible for items left at the curb which are not intended for removal.
- Do not leave bulk items on driveways, carports or other locations on the property - they must be at the curb or public right-of-way.
- Do not park in front of your bulk items or place them in areas that might be difficult for crews to see - please help them by making sure your items are clearly visible from the road.
Requests must be received before 12:00PM Wednesday for same week pickup. You will receive an e-mail confirmation that your request has been received and the date of your pickup. Requests received after 12:00PM on Wednesday will be scheduled for the following week. Please include all items to be collected and the address - we cannot schedule without this information.
Please contact the Department of Public Works with any questions or if you need additional information. You may also call 703-771-2790 to make a collection request or confirm acceptable items.
The Town cannot provide bulk item collection services to locations outside of the Town of Leesburg corporate limits.