LEADERSHIP IN THE LAW
SUMMER CAMP 2012
Leadership in the Law Summer Camp 2012 is an opportunity for students to learn firsthand about the legal system. The program is designed to allow students to work with local judges, lawyers, law clerks and other professionals and learn about the law. Students should be well-rounded individuals who are motivated and eager to learn about the legal system. The program will introduce students to the practice of criminal and civil law, courtroom procedures, crime scene investigation and the handling and preservation of evidence. Experienced practitioners will provide instruction and hands-on demonstrations. Team-building skills will also be emphasized throughout the program.
Student legal teams will receive a case outline, study the facts, visit the crime scene, interview witnesses and experts, analyze evidence, develop exhibits and prepare witnesses and experts for trial. The program will culminate in a jury trial in which students assume the roles of lawyers. A sitting Circuit Court Judge will preside over the trial. Students will also participate in recreational activities such as a rope course, volleyball, soccer, and water sports.
Twenty-four students (24) will be selected to participate in the overnight camp from June 17, 2012 to June 22, 2012. The campsite is located in Middleburg, Virginia. Students will be transported to the Courthouse Complex in Leesburg for active participation in the legal system. As a result of generous contributions received from individuals and organizations from the Loudoun and Fauquier area, and sponsorship by the Loudoun Bar Foundation, the program will be offered to include selected students at no cost.
APPLICATION CRITERIA AND PROCEDURE Leadership in the Law Camp Application
• Each Applicant must be a rising senior as of June 2012.
• Each Applicant must agree to abide by the Code of Conduct set forth in the Application.
• Each Applicant will be selected based upon their application.
• Twenty-four (24) students will be chosen to participate in the camp and twenty-four (24) students will be chosen for a waiting list in the event of any cancellations.
* Applicants must complete the application and submit it to Leadership in the Law Camp, c/o Christie Adler, 25 West Market Street, Leesburg, Virginia 20176, postmarked no later than April 9, 2012.
* Selected participants and those students on the waiting list will be notified by April 23, 2012.
* Selected participants must confirm their attendance, in writing, via letter to Christie Adler at 25 West Market Street, Leesburg, Virginia, 20176, or by email at email@example.com on or before May 14, 2012. Any student who fails to confirm his or her attendance by May 14, 2012, will be replaced by a student from the waitlist with no further notice. A MANDATORY PARENT/CAMPER MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE ON JUNE 6TH AT THE OLD COURT HOUSE AT 6:30 PM.